Friday 16 June 2017

A blouse for my Mum


A couple of weeks ago, when I shared the fabric that I got from Frou - Frou, I mentioned that I was going to make my mum a top. And I have! I'm really pleased with this, and so is she. It was the first time that I had properly sewn something that someone has asked me to make exactly. In other words, she chose the fabric and asked me to make this exact top from it, which is a replica of a ready to wear top that she owns. In a way, this is harder than making something for someone without them knowing and then giving it to them (for example the shirt that I made my dad) as it has to fit the brief. You might recognise the style of the top from this one that I made. Although the armhole and shoulders are slightly different, the two tops are quite similar. And yes, the fabric is also very similar, but no, we aren't planning to wear them as a mother-daughter duo! The front of the top appears to be higher than the back on this photo - this isn't the case of the actual top, it just hangs differently on the hanger.



As I mentioned above, this top is a copy of a ready to wear top that my mum already owns. It was my first time actually copying a garment, but I'm very pleased with how well it went. I made up my own method, and it wasn't until looking at a couple of you-tube videos that I realised I'd done it 'wrong'. Not that it mattered, as it worked fine, and the two tops are pretty identical. The only part that I used instructions for was copying the dart. This video shows how to do it really well.


The zip in this top is a nice detail that I like. It's not as exciting as the contrast one in this top, but my mum has hinted that she might like another one, possibly with a contrast zip! I'm really pleased with this make. It's so nice to make things for others. I think that although I definitely like making things for myself, it is really rewarding to see someone wear something that you've made them!

3 comments:

  1. good job - I really dont think there is a one way to do things. When I was 16 I used cut free-hand based on putting a vest top down and drawing some outlines etc, when I made my 'debs' (prom) dress I used maths based on my measurements and basic geometry. I love the way help and info is available online, but its only as good as the person willing to give it a go..... very pretty fabric - love the idea of a contrast zip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! I love the little hems on the bodice and sleeves.
    My mom is very fussy about quality when I try to make her things, so I don't very often, but it is nice to sew for others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely, gorgeous fabric and it looks so neatly sewn! No wonder your mum is so pleased with it!

    ReplyDelete